The Robertsau is the northernmost district of Strasbourg, formerly a market garden and now mainly residential.
Administratively, the Robertsau is grouped with the Wacken and the Cité de l’Ill to form the Robertsau-Wacken complex.
For a long time an unhealthy area that was only appreciated by fishermen, the Robertsau has experienced continuous demographic growth. According to the parish registers, the population of the district can be estimated at around 1,000 people in 1700. In 1871, the district had 6,000 inhabitants and 8,000 by 1900.
In 1990, the Robertsau had 18,000 inhabitants. Despite a loss of population in the cité de l’Ill, where 90% of subsidised housing is concentrated, the Robertsau recorded an increase of 16% compared to the previous census (1900), three times higher than that observed for the city as a whole.
Its inhabitants are called Robertsauvians.