Under the German occupation of Alsace, the population of Neudorf increased by 38% between 1871 and 1875, making it the most populated neighbourhood in Strasbourg. Numerous buildings and infrastructure were built, notably Ziegelau School in 1878, Musau School in 1897, Schluthfeld in 1899, Neufeld School in 1907, Charles Frey Shelter, as well as a number of habitation buildings. Neudorf was also linked to Strasbourg by three electrified tramway lines.
In 1882, the junction canal (Umleitungskanal) was dug, allowing for building a harbour next to Hospital Gate. In 1892, a similar harbour was built at Butchers’ Gte (Metzgertorhafen); this would be renamed to Port du Bassin d’Austerlitz in 1918 to annoy the Germans.
Strasbourg-Neudorf station in the early 20th century.
From the late 19th century, the railway that used to run next to Riepberg ditch, currently along Avenue Jean-Jaurès, was moved to the South of the neighbourhood, setting a Southern limit to Neudorf — the former limits have until then been the Krimmeri at the West, and the Ziegelwasser at the East. The new railway was built on an elevation of the fortifications of Strasbourg.
A shortage of housing after the First World War led to a number of building project such as cité Siegfried and cité Rissler by Paul Dopff.
Second World War
In 1939, the population of Neudorf was evacuated to Dordogne, along with that of the whole of Strasbourg. From the summer of 1940, they were allowed to return to their homes. In 1943, cinema Scala, built in 1938 on Route du Polygone, was turned into a memorial to the 214 killed and 673 wounded in the bombings of 6 September 1943, 17 November 1943 and 1 April 1944 (a plaque to be affixed in 2004 to commemorate the event). The bombing destroyed 300 buildings, notably a Protestant temple from 1885, and damaged Clinique Sainte-Odile.
With the construction of numerous buildings, Neudorf has again taken an important function in the urban zone of Strasbourg. The most notable are Lycée Jean Monnet (1965), the administrative centre of Strasbourg Eurométropole in 1975, the Southern bypass (1992) and, more recently, urbanisation near Route du Rhin at the North of the neighbourhood, with a cinema and shopping centre.
By 1999, Neudorf was the most populated neighbourhood of Strasbourg, with 39,000 inhabitants.